On this page you’ll find court filings and press coverage of our civil rights litigation on behalf of the Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape Tribal Nation against the Attorney General of New Jersey.
We are pleased to report that as of November 2018 this case has been successfully resolved.
Please direct inquiries to Greg Werkheiser.
The Parties’ Statements Upon Resolution
The Tribe’s Key Pleadings
The Tribe’s Counsel
The Tribe has been represented by Greg Werkheiser and Eden Burgess of Cultural Heritage Partners, PLLC and Frank Corrado of Barry, Corrado & Grassi, PC of Wildwood, New Jersey (www.capelegal.com). Cultural Heritage Partners, headquartered in Washington, DC, is a global law, government affairs, and strategy firm that handles issues related to cultural heritage, historic preservation, art and antiquities, and museums. Barry, Corrado & Grassi, PC is a law firm representing clients in civil rights, personal injury, real estate, criminal defense, and employment matters.
The Tribe makes no representation as to the accuracy of the media items below.
- “Ramapough Lenape and Powhatan Renape Nations of New Jersey Have State Recognition Reaffirmed”, Indian Country Today, March 27, 2019
- “Ramapough, Powhatan Tribes Granted State Recognition After Promising Not to Open Casinos”, New Jersey Law Journal, March 19, 2109
- “AG Grewal Announces Settlements with Two American Indian Tribes”, Insider NJ, March 18, 2019
- “New Jersey Officially Recognizes Ramapoughs, Powhatan As American Indian Tribes”, Daily Voice, March 18, 2019
- “NJ Acknowledges Historic Recognition of Powhatan Renape, Ramapough Lenape Nations”, Cape May Country Herald, March 18, 2019
- “State Affirms Status of Powhatan Renape, Ramapough Lenape Tribes”, Cherry Hill Courier-Post, March 18, 2019
- “Two More NJ Tribes Have Recognition Reaffirmed”, Digital Journal, March 18, 2019
- “NJ Officially Recognizes Ramapough Lenape, Powhahtan Renape Tribes”, NJTV, March 18, 2019
- “Mahwah’s Ramapough Lenape Nation Recognized As Tribe”, Patch, March 18, 2019
- “Two More NJ Tribes Have Recognition Reaffirmed”, Erie News Now, March 18, 2019
- “2 NJ Tribes Get Recognition Reaffirmed By State”, Law360, March 19, 2019
- “NJ Pays 2.4 Million and Agrees to Recognize Native American Nation,” NJ101.5 FM Radio, Sergio Bichau, November 17, 2018.
- “New Jersey reaches recognition settlement with Native American Indian tribe,” PhillyVoice.com, Michael Tanenbaum, November 16, 2018.
- “In Historic Move, New Jersey Acknowledges Native American Tribe, Will Pay $2.4 Million,” NBC New York, November 16, 2018.
- “In Historic Move, New Jersey Acknowledges Native American Tribe, Will Pay $2.4 Million,” NBC 10 Philadelphia, November 16, 2018.
- “Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape Tribal Nation public statement of gratitude,” Indianz.com, November 15, 2018.
- “Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape American Indian Tribe Settle New Jersey Lawsuit,” Cherry Hill Courier Post, Jim Walsh, November 15, 2018.
- “Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape Nation Wins,” com, Acee Agoyo, November 15, 2018.
- “State Pays 2.4M to Indian Tribe Over Withheld Recognition,” NJ Law Journal, Charles Toutant, November 15, 2018.
- “State Pays 2.4M to Indian Tribe Over Withheld Recognition,” Yahoo News, November 15, 2018.
- “NJ Agrees to Recognize Tribe, Pay $2.4M To End Court Battle,” Law360, Bill Wichert, November 15, 2018.
- “AG Grewal Announces Settlement of Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape Lawsuits,” Cape May County Herald, November 15, 2018.
- “New Jersey settles suit over status of Native American group,” Brown County Democrat, November 15, 2018.
- “Tribe Wins Tribe Wins Six-Year Battle to Restore New Jersey Recognition,” Digital Journal, November 15, 2018. Also published in: 100.7 The Score, 740 KVOR, 8 KULR News, ABC Fox Montana, ABC6, Ascensus, Benton Courier, Big Spring Herald, Borger News Herald, Boston Herald, CBS News 8, Concord Monitor, CrossRoads Today, Daily Herald, Daily Times Leader, Decatur Daily Democrat, Deseret News, FOX 11 and 41 Tri Cities-Yakima, FOX21 Delmarva, Fox34, International Business Times, Inyo Register, Journal Sentinel, KAKE, Kane Republican, KARN News Radio 102.9 FM / 920 AM Little Rock, Arkansas, KAYU, Kelowna Daily, Courier, KEYC, KFBB, KFMBAM, KFMBFM, KFVE The Home Team, KHQ Q6, KLKN, KRBK – TV, KRGV, Channel 5 News, KTVN, KUAM news, KUTV 2News, Malvern Daily Record, Mammoth Times, MarketPlace, Minster Community Post, myCentralOregon.com, MyLubbockTV, NBC Right Now, KNDO, 23, KNDU 26, News Channel 25, NewsOK, Observer News Enterprise, Oil & Gas Financial Journal, Oldies 97.7, Penticton Herald, Poteau Daily News, Ridgway Record, Rock 96.9, Spoke.com, Star Tribune, Starkville Daily News, Sweetwater Reporter, Telemundo Lubbock, TelemundoNM, The Antlers American, The Buffalo News, The Chronicle Journal [Thunder Bay, ON], The CW San Diego, The Daily Press, The Deer Park Tribune, The Evening Leader, The Morning News, The Pilot News, The Post and Mail, The Punxsutawney Spirit, Tulsa CW, Valley City Times-Record, WAND 17, Wapakoneta Daily News, WBBH, WBCB, WBOC 16, WENY, WFMJ-TV NBC-21, WGTA, WICU/WSEE, WICZ, Winslow, Evans & Crocker, WNKY 40, WRAL, WRCB, WSIL-TV 3, WVIR, WZVN, Yes FM, Your News Now
- “The White Man Is Breaking His Word Again,” Vice Media, Aaron Kase, December 12, 2017.
- “NJ AG Must Produce Some Docs In Tribe’s Suit: Magistrate,” Law 360, Adam Lidgett, September 20, 2017.
- “Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape Tribe Takes on State,” SNJ Today, Vince Farinaccio, September 19, 2017.
- “New Jersey’s Cultural Warfare,” The Progressive, Kate Morgan, September 6, 2017.
- “NJ Superior Court Rules Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape are Sovereign Tribe,” Indian Country Today, Lisa J. Ellwood, August 31, 2017.
- “Celebrate as tribal nation gets its day in N.J. court | Opinion,” NJ.com, Albert B. Kelly, August 21, 2017.
- “Tribe’s Lawsuit Over Recognition To Advance,” CBS Philly, Cleve Bryan, July 19, 2017.
- “The Lenni-Lenape say they’re a tribe, and want N.J. to agree,” Philly.com, Jacqueline L. Urgo, July 17, 2017.
- “N.J. Indian tribe gets court’s OK to keep fighting for legal recognition,” NJ.com, Bill Gallo Jr., July 13, 2017.
- “Court allows tribe’s lawsuit over recognition to advance,” AP News, Associated Press, July 13, 2017. Also published in: U.S. News, Courier-Post, Navajo Times, New Jersey Herald.
- “Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape a Recognized Tribe, Court Rules,” New Jersey Law Journal, Michael Booth, July 10, 2017.
- “NJ Panel Says Court Wrongly Tossed Tribal Recognition Suit,” Law 360, Jeannie O’Sullivan, July 10, 2017.
- “Tribe Says NJ AG Must Cough Up Docs In Recognition Dispute,” Law360, Adam Lidgett, April 18, 2017.
- “Tribe Can Sue New Jersey for Recognition,” Courthouse News, Chris Fry, November 2, 2016.
- “Lenni-Lenape Tribal Nation Earns Its Day In Court,” NJ.com, South Jersey Times Editorial Board, November 1, 2016.
- “NJ Facing Lawsuit From Native American Tribe,” CBS Philly [Philadelphia], Cleve Bryan, October 28, 2016.
- “Lenni-Lenape suit against N.J. attorney general can proceed, judge rules,” NJ.com, Bill Gallo Jr. October 28, 2016.
- “Federal judge rules Cumberland County-based Tribal Nation Lawsuit Can Proceed,” The Press of Atlantic City, Thomas Barlas, October 28, 2016.
- “Nanticoke-Lenape tribal status recognized in First State, struggle continues in New Jersey,” Delaware Public Media, Megan Pauly, September 12, 2016.
- “Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape Don’t Want to Lose What They Already Have,” NJ.Com, Albert B. Kelly, August 21, 2016.
- “NJ Tribe Says State AG Can’t Dodge Recognition Suit,” Law360, Andrew Westney, June 7, 2016.
- “Tribe in Limbo As New Jersey Does Double Take on Recognition.” Law360, Andrew Westney, February 16, 2016.
- “Tribe Says Fed. Contract Hinges on Recognition by NJ,” Law360, Andrew Westney, February 8, 2016.
- “NJ Tribes Slams State AG’s Resistance to Recognition Bid,” Law360, Andrew Westney, November 24, 2015.
- “American Indian tribe files second lawsuit against New Jersey,” NJ.com, Anna Merriman, October 23, 2015.
- “NJ moves to toss tribe’s suit over recognition,” Associated Press – The Big Story, October 23, 015. Also published in: Atlantic City News, Daily Mail, Native Times, Delaware 105.9 FM News/Talk, Findlaw, Forum News, Hamodia, News United, Poli-Ticks, Press Reader, 710KNUS News/Talk, The Daily Journal, The Denver Post, The New York Times, The Washington Post, OOYUZ, Pechanga, Vivalanka,Wupular.
- “New Jersey moves to dismiss Lenni-Lenape lawsuit over state recognition,” Press of Atlantic City, Thomas Barlas, October 23, 2015.
- “NJ Claims Immunity As Tribe Widens Recognition Bid,” Law360, Christine Powell, October 1, 2015.
- “Nanticoke Tribe Defends Suit Over NJ Recognition,” Law360, Jeannie O’Sullivan, September 28, 2015.
- “Cultural Heritage Partners: The Case Against Rescinded Identity,” VoiceAmerica – Indiana Jones: Myth, Reality and 21st Century Archaeology with Dr. Joseph Schuldenrein, (Audio) Interview with Greg Werkheiser, August 12, 2015.
- “Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape Tribe Suing NJ State Officials,” SJ Today (Video), Cara McCollum, July 31, 2015.
- “Tribe Sues New Jersey for Blocking Official Recognition,” CasinoConnection, Staff, July 27, 2015.
- “NJ Must Recognize Lenni-Lenape as Native American,” NJ.com / South Jersey Times, Editorial, Stephanie Maksin, July 24, 2015.
- “Indian Tribe Sues New Jersey For Official Recognition Denies Desire for Casino,” US Poker Sites.com, Christine Davies, July 22, 2015.
- “Native American Tribe Sues New Jersey for Recognition,” Associated Press – The Big Story, Geoff Mulvihill, July 21, 2015. Also published in: 10 On Your Side, A Breaking News, ABC 27 News, Albany Democrat Herald, Albany Times Union, Arizona Daily Star, Arizona Daily Sun, Ashbury Park Press, Auburn Citizen, Bay News 9, Beatrice Daily Sun, Beaumont Enterprises, Bismark Tribune, Bloomington Pantagraph, Bonner County Daily Bee, Bradenton Herald, Brownsville Herald, Cache Valley Daily, Carlisle Sentinel, CBS 3 News Philly, Cherokee Phoenix.org, Chico Enterprise-Record, Chron.com, Colorado Springs Gazette, Columbia Ledger-Enquirer, Coos Bay World, Corvallis Gazette Times, Courthouse News Service, CT Post, Daily American Online, Daily Herald, Daily Journal, Daily Record (Morris County), DBVnews.com, El Paso Inc, Fairfield Citizen, Fox Business, Fox5NY, Fremont Tribune, Ft. Bragg Advocate News, Gettysburg Times, Greenwich Time, Hanford Sentinel, Helena Independent Record, Hickory Daily Record, Hilton Head Island Packet, Houston Chronicle, Idaho State Journal, Imperial Valley Press, Ino.com, Jersey Tribune, Journal Review, Journal Star, KRQE News 13, KSRO, La Crosse Tribune, LancasterOnline, Lexington Herald Leader, Lincoln Journal Star, Lompoc Record, Long Beach Press Telegram, MagicValley.com, Mason City Globe Gazette, Midland Daily News, Montana Standard, Monterey County Herald, Moutlon Advertiser, Muscatine Journal, Native Times.com, New York Times, Newsbug.info, NewsOK.com, Newsworks, North Jersey.com, Odessa American: US News, Paradise Post, Philly.com, Porterville Recorder, PostBulletin.com, Quad City Times, Rapid City Journal, Salon.com, San Antonio Express-News, San Francisco Chronicle, SFGate.com, Sioux City Journal, Star Tribune.com, Statesville.com, STLtoday.com, The Big Story, The Daily Nonpareil, The Decatur Daily, The Elkhart Truth, The Exponent Telegram, The Gazette, Colorado Springs News, The Journal Record (Oklahoma City Journal), The Missoulian, The Monitor-US News, The San Luis Obispo Tribune, The Tribune, The Washington Post, Times Daily, Town Hall, U.S. News Hub, Uniontown Herald Standard, Vallejo Times Herald, Valley Morning Star, Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, Watertown Daily Times, Winona Daily News, WRAL.com, Yakima Herald-Republic.
- “SJ Native Americans Renew Fight for State Recognition,” CBS Evening News (Philly), David Madden and Cleve Bryan, July 21, 2015.
- “SJ Native Americans Renew Fight for State Recognition,” CBS Philly (Video/Audio), Cleve Bryan, July 21, 2015.
- “SJ Native Americans Renew Fight for State Recognition,” KYW Radio Philly (Audio), Dave Madden and Cleve Bryan, July 21, 2015.
- “New Jersey Indian Tribe Sues State Over Official Recognition,” News of Cumberland County NJ.com, Don E. Woods, July 20, 2015.
- “NJ Must Recognition Lenni-Lenape As Native American Tribe,” RoundhouseTalk.com, Editor, South Jersey Times, July 27, 2015.
- “Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape Tribal Nation Sues in New Jersey,” Indianz.com, Staff, July 21, 2015.
- “Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape Tribal Nation Sues in New Jersey,” Native News Today, Staff, July 21, 2015.
- “Nanticoke Tribe Sues NJ to Renew Formal Recognition,” Law360, Vidya Kauri, July 21, 2015.
- “New Jersey American Indian Tribe Sues State Over Recognition,” RYOT, Alex Bauer, July 21, 2015.
- “NJ Sues Over Gambling Presumption,” Courthouse News, Nick Rummell, July 21, 2015.
- “Lenni-Lenape Tribe Sue Christie, New Jersey Over Alleged Civil Rights Violations,” Violations, Press of Atlantic City, Tyler R. Tynes, July 21, 2015.
- “Tribal nations are tired of waiting for Uncle Sam to recognize them,” Aljazeera America, Tristan Ahtone, January 17, 2014.