— UPDATE: POSITION FILLED —
Cultural Heritage Partners, a mission-driven law firm, seeks an associate attorney to join our tight-knit team in our Richmond, Virginia office. The attorney will work directly with the firm’s managing partner and support the firm’s historic preservation and American Indian law practice. This practice operates at the intersection of preservation and development and focuses primarily on advocacy, administrative/regulatory matters, and alternative dispute resolution. Our matters involve, for example, advocating for improved National Historic Preservation Act policy and implementation, representing parties in Section 106 consultations, fostering improved industry engagement with tribes, and assisting tribes with issues related to governance and administration as well as policy at the federal, state, and local level. The common thread through all of our work is our desire to contribute to the preservation of cultural heritage.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 1-4 years of work experience in historic preservation law, Indian law, and Section 106; familiarity with NEPA is a plus
- Excellent academic credentials
- Strong research, writing, and communications skills
- Familiarity with principles of negotiation and alternative dispute resolution
- Interest in policy and advocacy strategy
- Demonstrated interest in cultural heritage preservation
- Ability to work well independently and in small teams
- Ability to help develop creative problem-solving approaches for clients
- Initiative and interest to help build our practice and participate in business development
- Sense of humor
Applicants should be licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Our firm’s values include promoting a healthy work/life balance so that our team can sustainably take on meaningful work for years to come. While this position is full time, we are open to flexible work schedules and occasional work from home.
Compensation is competitive and includes benefits such as health insurance and a retirement plan.
Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com by September 30, 2018. We will review applications on a rolling basis for this immediate opening.